Friday, May 25, 2012

Wildlife Encounters on Fraser Island


[editor's note:  we visited Fraser Island May 4]
            On the first day of Frasier Island, I have seen some pretty impressive animals.  When going to the island on the ferry, we saw bottlenose dolphins, which were not expected.  Never in a million years did I expect to see dolphins in the wild.  I knew this was a great start to what we were to see on the island.  Another animal we saw was a Portuguese Man of War washed up on the beach.  This animal is a small jellyfish and it has a long tentacle that grows.  When the tour guide was holding it by its jelly body, the tentacle started out as a few inches and grew to a few feet.  Amazing!  We also saw some dingoes too.  I was the first person who spotted the first dingo, which was running on the side of the sand dune.  I was so excited I yelled “Dingo!”  There was another one that was spotted later that appeared to be hurt.  It was limping and it was skinnier than the first one we saw.  I felt bad for it, since I know it must be hard to struggle in the wild when injured and have to fend for itself.  With these encounters, I knew this was a great start to our Frasier Island adventure.   
Rachelle von Readen 

No comments: