Sunday, May 27, 2012

Lone Pine

May 3rd: This day was one of the most suprising days of the whole trip. We went to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary in Brisbane. Sure, when you think of "Koala Sanctuary," one only thinks about Koalas, but there was SO much more there. One of the first things we did was feed the Kangaroos. When I think about feeding animals, I always remember them being behind a fence and my hand streching between the bars. In the Kangaroo enclosure, they were all around you. The animals, both Walllabies and Kangaroos (and an Emu) could wander around the huge pen at their leisure. All of the creatures I approached weren't intimidated and didn't run at the sight of me. I loved being inches from one of Australia's most recognized icons! Seeing all the Kangaroos on the postcard didn't do them justice. It was great to reach out and touch their rough fur and their feet are SO much bigger in person! I also got the opportunity to hold a Koala and get a picture with it. It was a lot heavier than I expected, but it was cute the way the arms grabbed my shoulders... it seemed perfectly at ease.
Abbie Austin

No comments: