Sunday, May 27, 2012

Great Barrier Reef


[May 10, 2012]
G'day everyone! This past Thursday we got an early start to head over to Reef Terminal to get our sea legs on and go explore the Great Barrier Reef. After a two hour ride the boat stops and we all suited up in our stinger suits, masks, and flippers and away we go to an island. Once another smaller boat drops us off on the island we are free to go! As soon as I stepped in the water I immediately saw some fish that blended into the color of the sand. From there as I kept swimming toward the boat into deeper water,I saw so many fish and coral along the way. One memorable moment I had was when I saw these bright colored parrot fish feeding off the coral. It was amazing to watch and get on video because I could hear their mouths chomping down under water from a good distance away! I saw so much while snorkeling, here's a list of things I saw to get an idea of all the animals I saw: butterfly fish, angel fish, parrot fish, a turtle, surgeon fish, brain coral, lunar coral, and stag horn coral. I'm so glad I got a chance to do this once in a life time experience!! :) 


Brianna Bender

No comments: