Sunday, May 27, 2012

Great Barrier Reef

May 10th: Snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef was harder (and saltier) than I though it was going to be! The first Island that we were dropped off at was a bird sanctuary... I never really though that I would have to walk out to the reef, it was so close. The first drop off was the hardest. Now, I had snorkeled before all be it in my pool... but the essentials I knew. The trickiest part was keeping the snorkel out of the water while trying not to kick the coral and trying to get the water out of the mask... it was a challenge to say the least. I didn't expect I was to have that much trouble with it... but I also didn't believe that the second stop would be in the middle of the ocean. The water looked deeper than it was (and it was cloudy) so I was suprised when the boat stopped and people were putting on gear! It was fun jumping off the boat and into the waves, though they are bigger when you are in the water. This was the best stop because I felt there was more to see and it was fun surfing the tops of the waves. Some of the coral were really bright greens and I even saw some pinks. This day also helped us with our paper topic on the reef.
 
-Abbie Austin'15

No comments: