Thursday, May 10, 2012

Blog Ahutchinson

Blog #1:
We have done so many things but today I want to tell you about the Lone Pine Sanctuary!! We went to the Sanctuary on May 3rd.
I held a koala, and fed grey kangaroos! The kangaroos are very friendly animals and they were very social.  When I walked over to the field they were in they knew exactly what was happening.  Kangaroos of all different sizes lined up to grab some grub! I even got to witness a joey climbing out of his mother's pouch and then climbing back it! This was amazing! When the joey climbed out it was really humorous to watch him walking around because he hadn't quite grown into his big legs yet.  I also enjoyed holding the koala.  I learned that koalas sleep/rest 18-20 hours of their day!! This is because of the Eucalyptus leaves they eat: they are made of mostly water and contain a low amount of sugar to keep the koalas awake! When I was holding a female koala that was trained to be held, I was able to feel the softness of her fur.  She had a certain odor that I can't quite place my finger on, and the whole sanctuary had a strong smell of Eucalyptus.  Her claws were a bit scratchy and she did not want to be held for very long, but I did manage to get a picture just in the nick of time! Another great day in Australia!


Blog #2:
Yesterday: May 10th, we went to the butterfly sanctuary.  I love, love, love butterflies and was more than excited for this excursion! As we entered the sanctuary we were surrounded by the beautiful blue iridescence of the Ulysses Butterfly! This butterfly flies extremely fast because it knows that the color of its wings is a disadvantage against predators.  I was unable to get a picture due to its quick movements, but I will lock away the image in my mind for as long as possible! There were many other beautiful butterflies in the sanctuary, we were able to see the worlds largest moth as well! Then we went to Tjapukai, an Aboriginal cultural park. Here I witnessed a didgeridoo being played by an indigenous person, I learned how to throw a boomerang properly, and got to try it out myself; and I got to try my luck at spear throwing!  

P.S.: Sorry for the absence of pictures, I will get some up as soon as I can!

Almara Hutchinson'13

--
Ali Hutchinson '13



 
 

No comments: